Who should you ‘follow’ and ‘listen’ to?
The truth be told, this is a difficult question to answer.
You need to be careful who is invited and allowed to influence your world.
I heard the following quote many years ago before I even hit my university years.
“You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.”
– Jim Rohn
This quote has been transformational for so many people in the world. Thank you, Jim Rohn!
I took this quote to mean even more.
If I wanted to break dysfunctional patterns and grow I would not only have to stay way from bad influences; I would have to find new great and inspiring ones.
Even my entrepreneur family members weren’t enough to help me grow into a confident service driven, self-sufficient person and community contributing member of society.
Yet, I was a shy, introvert person who was so far removed from the world I wanted to be part of it was difficult at times to believe I could part of something better, more fulfilling and I deserved to be there.
This is why, in the past, I turned to books and magazine, and in this new age of digital, I have turned to audiobooks, podcasts, and YouTube channels.
Thankfully, through books and magazines, I was able to grow and gain confidence.
And through time, and despite my fears and my family’s words of caution, my circle grew, my experience grew, and I gained more and more of the life and career I wanted.
Today, I want to share with you my list of current influencers I am following.
I either keep adding their books to my shelf or audiobook app.
Or I catch their YouTub or podcast show.
In all cases, I can’t imagine my world without their ‘words’ helping me.
They are either my virtual mentors and even in some cases, been able to chat with them in person.
If you are looking to upgrade your ‘average’ people, you are ‘spending time with’ then check out this list.
I’m confident you’ll find either some old friends or one or two new ones.
Even better, let me know about some of your favourite people you are ‘following’. I’m always looking for new amazing mentors and influencers for our community.
33 Influencers, Alphabetised
- Alan Weiss: Author of 500 articles and 60 books, including his best-seller, Million Dollar Consulting. One of his latest is Million Dollar Maverick. His books have been translated into 12 languages. Alan Weiss represents the top 1% of professional speakers in the world and has been named a Fellow of the Institute of Management Consultants.
- Amy Porterfield: Co-author of Facebook Marketing All-In-One for Dummies and a Social Media Strategist for entrepreneurs and small businesses. Amy is also the host of the top-rated podcast, Online Marketing Mad Easy.
- Daniel Goleman: An internationally known psychologist who frequently lectures to professional groups, business audiences, and on college campuses. Daniel Coleman is more internationally known as the author of the The New York Times bestseller Emotional Intelligence, named one of the 25 “Most Influential Business Management Books” by TIME Magazine. The Financial Times, Wall Street Journal and Accenture Insititute for Strategic Change have listed Goleman among the most influential business thinkers.
- Chris Ducker: Host of Youpreneur FM Podcast and author of the book Virtual Freedom: How to Work with Virtual Staff to Buy More Time, Become More Productive, and Build Your Dream Business.
- Christie Lindor: Host of The MECE Muse Unplugged podcast and author of the soon to be released book The Mece Muse: 100+ Selected Practices, Unwritten Rules and Habits of Great Consultants.
- Dale Partridge: Family man, launcher of 1/2 a dozen multi-million dollar businesses, best-selling author of Launch Your Dream: A 30-Day Plan for Turning Your Passion into Your Business, and podcast host of StartupCamp.
- Dan Sullivan: Founder and president of The Strategic Coach Inc. who has over 35 years experience as a highly regarded speaker, consultant, strategic planner, and coach to entrepreneurial individuals and groups. He is also an author of over 30 publications, including The Great Crossover, The 21st Century Agent, Creative Destruction, and How The Best Get Better®.
- Daniel H. Pink: Speaker and author of 6 books — including his newest, When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing (2018). His other books include the long-running New York Times bestseller A Whole New Mind and the #1 New York Times bestsellers Drive and To Sell is Human. His books have won multiple awards and have been translated into 35 languages.
- David Allen: Productivity consultant who is best known as the creator of the time management method known as Getting Things Done, Ready for Anything and host of GTD podcasts.
- David Thexton: Host of the Everything Business Consulting – A Podcast for Business Consultants and co-leader of Thexton Armstrong, a 100+ Business Success Partners Consultants & Advisors in New Zealand, Australia, England and The Netherlands.
- Ernest Barbaric: Designer of digital marketing certificate programs at University of Calgary, Mount Royal University, and Canadian Marketing Association. Also the host of the Art of Meaningful Work podcast.
- Geoff Woods: Former sales professional, creator and season 1 podcast host of The Mentee, VP of The One Thing and current host of The One Thing podcast.
- James Alturcher: Host of The James Altucher Show and author of Choose Yourself: Be Happy, Make Millions, Live the Dream.
- Kevin Miller: Host and producer of the top-ranked business podcast The Ziglar Show with Tom Ziglar. The Ziglar Show podcast continue the great work of Zig Ziglar. Also founder of the Free Agent Academy. Kevin Miller is also a prolific personal development advocate and business developer, currently invested in a revolutionary, Functional Medicine practice.
- Kirk Bowman: Advocate of value pricing and host of the Art of Value podcast
- Maria Forelo: Named by Oprah as a thought leader for the next generation, she’s an entrepreneur, writer, philanthropist & unshakable optimist who has created a socially conscious digital empire. Maria Forelo has an award-winning show MarieTV, world-class online training programs, a book in 16 languages and an audience in 195 countries.
- Matt Inglot: Owner of Tilted Pixel, a web agency, and host of Freelance Transformation podcast.
- Michael E. Gerber: Inc. Magazine calls him “the World’s #1 Small Business Guru”. Author of the mega-bestseller The E-Myth Revisited and five other E-Myth books concerning small business and entrepreneurship and written 14 industry-specific E-Myth Vertical books co-authored by industry experts including The E-Myth Contractor.
- Michael Bungay Stanier: The author of several books, including The Coaching Habit and Do More Great Work. Michael Stainier has written for or been featured in numerous publications including Business Insider, Fast Company, Forbes, The Globe & Mail and The Huffington Post.
- Michael Hyatt: Known as the Virtual Mentor, Michael is the co-author of Living Forward and Get the Life You Want along with Daniel Harkavy.
- Michael Port: Author of 6 books including Book Yourself Solid and Steal the Show. His books have been on the bestseller lists of the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, USA Today and Publisher’s Weekly and have been selected by Amazon and 800-CEO-READ as “best books of the year.” Michael Part is also the host of the popular podcast on public speaking and performance, Steal the Show with Michael Port.
- Michael Zipursk: Host of Consulting Success Podcast and author of 5 books including Profitable Relations: How to Dramatically Increase Your Profits By Giving Customers What They Really Want, the Consulting Success System: How to Become a Successful Consultant, and the Masters of Consulting Interviews.
- Pamela Slim: Is the award-winning author of Escape the Cubicle Nation, speaker and business consultant who has been an entrepreneur for twenty years. Her passion for career and organizational development spans many different work modes and client engagements. She is frequently quoted as a business expert in the press such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, Forbes, Entrepreneur, Information Week, Money Magazine and Psychology Today.
- Patrick Lencioni: Founder of The Table Group and the author of 11 books, such as Death by Meetings, The Ideal Team, and The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, have sold over 5 million copies and been translated into more than 30 languages. The Wall Street Journal called him “one of the most in-demand speakers in America.”
- Philip Morgan: Specialist software developer himself, blogger, and podcast host of The Consulting Pipeline.
- Rory Vaden: Co-founder of Southwestern Consulting™, New York Times bestselling author of Take the Stairs and Procrastinate On Purpose, is an internationally acclaimed keynote speaker, and the world’s leading expert on self-discipline, overcoming procrastination and taking action to create exponential results. He is also the host of The Action Catalyst Podcast.
- Ryan Holiday: An Author of 6 books, including The Obstacle Is the Way, Ego Is the Enemy, The Daily Stoic and Perennial Seller. He is also a media strategist who has advised clients like Google, TASER, and Complex, as well as many prominent bestselling authors, including Neil Strauss, Tony Robbins and Tim Ferriss.
- Samuel J. Woods: Head Coach and Co-creator of Leaders Within and the ConsultingFuse Podcast with Tim Conley. Sam is a Growth Marketer and Conversion Copywriter, specializing in developing and optimizing growth funnels that predictably generate more leads and sales.
- Seth Godin: Author of a blog that is one of the most popular in the world, author of 18 books, that have been bestsellers around the world and have been translated into more than 35 languages. For example, The Purple Cow, Tribes, and Linchpin. Seth Godin is also founder of altMBA, an online leadership and management workshop.
- Simone Andersen: Is a journalist and has a Master’s degree in media studies. She worked for many years at the Danish Broadcasting Corporation (DR) as an editor and talk show host. Simone is an expert in business networking and building relationships and has written several bestselling books, including The Networking Book, and gives talks on these subjects.
- Tim Conley: Founder and Co-creator of Leaders Within and the ConsultingFuse Podcast with Samuel J. Woods. Tim has professional experience mainly serving B2B companies such as consultancies, agencies, and SaaS and focuses on coaching and training entrepreneurs and executives who want to transform their new managers and millennial workforce into effective leaders. of the ConsultingFuse Podcast.
- Tom Ziglar: President of Ziglar, Inc., author of Born to Win and co-host of The Ziglar Show podcast with Kevin Miller.
- Dr Travis Bradberry: Coauthor of Emotional Intelligence 2.0 book and LinkedIn Influencer.
Remember Jim Rohn’s words, “You are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with.”
Choose wisely who you are spending your most precious asset with.
And with that, thank you for sharing your most precious asset with me, your time.
Thanks for reading!
Founder and President
Stand & Deliver Inc.